Frequently Asked Questions:
I have a coupon for $49.99 to clean the air ducts in my home; can you match that price?
Please be aware of these coupons claiming to clean your home for a ridiculously low price. We spend a minimum of three hours in a home to accomplish a proper air duct cleaning. Please see for yourself the Dateline investigation on air duct cleaning scams aired in January of 2011.
What Is Air Duct Cleaning?
Duct cleaning generally refers to the cleaning of various heating and cooling system components of forced air systems, including the supply and return air ducts and registers, grilles and diffusers, heat exchangers heating and cooling coils, condensate drain pans (drip pans), fan motor and fan housing, and the air handling unit housing.If not properly installed, maintained, and operated, these components may become contaminated with particles of dust, pollen or other debris. If moisture is present, the potential for microbiological growth (e.g., mold) is increased and spores from such growth may be released into the home’s living space. Some of these contaminants may cause allergic reactions or other symptoms in people if they are exposed to them.
Who Needs Air Duct Cleaning?
People who experience a high amount of allergic reactions or those who live in older homes. Also, in the following situations:
- renovations or remodeling done to your home
- having smokers in your home
- having pets that shed high amounts of fur and dander in your home
- moving into a new home
- family members with allergies or asthma who might benefit from a reduction in the amount of indoor air pollutants in your home
Why Should I Clean My Ducts?
- Children are more affected by polluted indoor air because they breathe faster and are closer to the ground where concentrations are higher (Dept. of Consumer Affairs)
- Asthmatics, the elderly, and people with lung diseases are more sensitive to pollutants. Indoor air can be up to 70 times more polluted than outdoor air, and most people spend 60-90% of their time indoors
- 9 out of 10 air system failures are caused by dirt and dust. See http://allergies.about.com/ for more information about allergies.
How Long Does It Take?
Generally, it takes about 4-6 hours to complete an average-sized house, but it really depends on the size of your location. Please contact us for more information. 215.464.3828
How Often Do Dryer Vents Need Cleaning?
The better a dryer vent blows, the less lint builds up in it. Short vents blow better than long ones. Full size dryers blow better than smaller stack dryers or older dryers. Vents with a lot of turns and elbows blow worse and build up more lint. Very short vents attached to full size dryers may never need cleaning! Most vents, however, need cleaning every two to three years, depending on the factors above.
Are Dryer Vents A Fire Hazard?
A plugged vent will certainly cause a dryer to run hotter and increase the chance that something could catch fire. A dirty vent, however, is only one link in a chain of events that must occur for a fire to start. Other events may include: failure of thermostat and limit switches in the dryer, lint inside the dryer, a missing or damaged lint screen, and a crushed hose behind the dryer. Some of our competitors employ “scare tactics” and reprint newspaper articles about fires caused by dryers. Though fire hazards may be exaggerated, many fire departments and insurance companies do require that dryer vents be inspected and cleaned regularly.
Will Duct Cleaning Reduce Our Energy Bills?
Research by the U.S. EPA has demonstrated that HVAC system cleaning may allow systems to run more efficiently by removing debris from sensitive mechanical components. Clean, efficient systems are less likely to break down, have a longer life span, and generally operate more effectively than dirty systems.